No matter the stage in your journey living with dementia, we’re here to support you as a leading provider of quality dementia care in Sydney.
Dementia is one of the major health problems affecting older Australians, with 250 new cases diagnosed every day and three in 10 people over 85 living with some form of dementia, including the most common, Alzheimer’s Disease. That’s why care for people living with dementia is a priority for Montefiore, and encompasses innovative residential care, support for people living at home with dementia and their carers, day respite programs and ongoing research into best practice led by our Dementia Specialist.
A new Montefiore Dementia Model (MDM) is soon to launch in our Randwick residential dementia care units, with living spaces and care practices being completely redesigned to accommodate a small-scale, domestic model that encourages active participation in daly living activities.
Residential dementia care
- Montefiore is a leading provider of residential care for dementia patients. Our advanced, moderate and mild dementia specific Residential Care units at Randwick and Hunters Hill have been designed to support the use of smaller spaces, maintaining a friendly and protected home-like environment in line with international best practice.
- Our innovative ‘Neighbourhood Model’ of living in Residential Care further supports dementia care by providing comfort and familiarity to those with cognitive impairment.
- Activity programs in our Special Care Units are specifically designed to meet the needs of residents living with dementia.
Dementia research & innovation
- Montefiore funds a collaboration with the Centre for Healthy Brain Ageing (CHeBA) at the University of New South Wales, which allows us to direct research that informs our dementia care. CHeBA Co-Director Scientia Professor Henry Brodaty AO is one of our Ambassadors and the Montefiore Chair of Healthy Brain Ageing.
- In March 2018, Montefiore created a new position of Dementia Specialist, to oversee best practice, infrastructure and research across the organisation and ensure we continue to deliver leading dementia care.
- Help at Home clients also have access to Montefiore’s dementia expertise through our clinical and allied health staff, as well as specialised programs such as the COPE trial supporting people with dementia and their carers to continue to live independently. Read more about COPE here.
- Our day centres, the Burger Centre and Club Monte, offer social support programs and day respite for people living with dementia.
Learn more about dementia and find resources at Dementia Australia.